One of Colorado's best-preserved and most storied ranches has earned a Barn Again award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation and a Centennial Farm award from the Colorado Historical Society. Among the seventeen contributing outbuildings of this working ranch along Crow Creek are the Ranch House (1885), bunk-house (1890), blacksmith shop (1880s), concrete silo (1918), and a dairy barn (1900). The most notable building is a barn (1885) with a three-story cross-gambrel roof and two vented cupolas.
The ranch was started in the 1880s by Lord Lyulph Ogilvy, the Scottish Earl of Airlie, who helped establish the vast Prairie Cattle Company of Colorado and Wyoming. In 1888 Ogilvy sold his ranch and became a writer for The Denver Post. The ranch became the Percheron-Norman Horse Company, a major supplier of workhorses for farmers and city dwellers. In 1899 it became the SLW Ranch, which is still in family hands with Stow Witwer, who raises Herefords, hay, corn, and grain for winter feed.
- Thomas J. Noel
Buildings of Colorado, Thomas J. Noel. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997, p. 246.
SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012. Online. http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/CO-01-WE23. Accessed 2014-09-02.