In 1909–1910, the Alaska Road Commission upgraded the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail from a sled trail to a wagon road. At that time, John Hajdukovich replaced the original one-story roadhouse with the two-story, gable-fronted structure known today as Rika's Roadhouse. The eave line continues across the gable front, giving the three-bay building a pedimented look. The construction is round logs, saddle notched at the corners.
In 1917, Hajdukovich hired Rika Wallen, a recent Swedish immigrant, to run the roadhouse; he sold it to her in 1923. In 1926 she added the side-gable portion. She had a flourishing farm here, witnessed by the several outbuildings, as well as a post office and the roadhouse. Bypassed by the upgraded Richardson Highway, Wallen closed her roadhouse in 1947 but lived here until her death in 1969. The roadhouse has been restored. The interior has been remodeled as a gift shop, although a piece of packing-crate flooring remains.