Refugees from Saint-Domingue and Cuba made up most of the original membership of this Masonic lodge, which was chartered in 1810 and is thus the oldest lodge in Louisiana. The tall rectangular building of stuccoed brick is articulated with shallow pilasters on both stories of its narrow facade. Alterations in 1850 removed much of the interior millwork, but the main staircase, musicians’ gallery, and entrance doors are original. The hall will become an educational and performance venue for the planned New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park. Moved to this site and located behind and to the right of the lodge is the Rabassa–De Pouilly House (c. 1825), a four-room cottage with raised galleries and rear cabinets, formerly the residence of J. N. B. de Pouilly.
A few blocks away at 1433 N. Rampart is the former Etoile Polaire (North Star) Lodge No. 1 F&AM, a two-story, Greek Revival, stuccoed brick building (c. 1840), constructed for a lodge chartered in 1816, which features pilasters between the windows and a dentiled entablature.