You are here

Halfway Inn (Old Stagecoach Inn, Flournoy-Granberry House)

-A A +A
c. 1841. TX 21, 0.25 miles west of FM 95

Samuel Flournoy from Mississippi built this two-story log house, with two rooms on each side of a central hall on both floors and with end chimneys. Located on El Camino Real about halfway between San Augustine and Nacogdoches, it was a well-used stage stop and local post office. The structure of square-notched cedar logs is covered with a mix of horizontal and vertical board siding. Unusual are the tall posts that support the porch’s roof. Each 9 x 4–inch post is composed of three continuous planks that are separated at top, bottom, and midpoint by square spacers, a construction technique not found in other buildings of the period. End chimneys are constructed of local blue marl stone, and the foundation is dry-laid stone. The slight change in roof slope at the porch may indicate that it was a later addition, and the house originally had a one-story porch, which would also explain the change of siding.

Flournoy enlarged his land holdings but moved to Wood County in 1852, after which the property had a number of owners. H. R. Granberry purchased the house in 1917, and it remained in his family until 1981. The house was moved five miles closer to Nacogdoches in 1984, but after it was acquired by the Chireno Historical Society, it was returned near to its original site in 1988. The adjacent Old Baptist Church (1890) was moved to the site in 2012.

At 4.3 miles east of Chirino on TX 21 (in San Augustine County) is the Milton Garrett Log House. The two-room 18 x 30–foot log house was built in 1826 on a Mexican land grant received by Milton’s father, Jacob Garrett, who is buried in the small cemetery behind the house. The square-hewn heart-of-pine logs have half-dovetail joints. Roofs of the rear addition (originally a porch) and front porch are offset from the main house roof. Fireplaces and chimneys are of local blue marl stone. Inside, a steep stair next to the west fireplace led to a single half-story room the length of the house. San Augustine architect Raiford Stripling bought the house in 1969 from the Garrett family, restored it, and lived there for a number of years.

Writing Credits

Gerald Moorhead et al.



Gerald Moorhead et al., "Halfway Inn (Old Stagecoach Inn, Flournoy-Granberry House)", [Chireno, Texas], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—,

Print Source

Buildings of Texas

Buildings of Texas: East, North Central, Panhandle and South Plains, and West, Gerald Moorhead and contributors. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2019, 53-53.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.