A Friends' community since the 1740s, Lincoln still centers on the meetinghouse. The Goose Creek Friends were leaders in education, agricultural reform, and the abolition, temperance, and pacifist movements. The (Goose Creek) Old Stone Meeting House (1765, west side of the intersection of routes 709 and 722), with its stone structure, is one of the earliest and most pristine houses of worship in the Northern Piedmont. Unlike the Fairfax Friends Meeting, which expanded its original building, the Goose Creek Meeting opted to build anew across the road. That building still stands, though greatly altered by the removal of the original second story. The Friends converted the original Old Stone Meeting House to a caretaker's residence.
The Oakdale School (1815; center of intersection of Virginia 722 and 709) is a simple brick structure that replaced an earlier log school building. Education was of great importance to the Goose Creek Quakers, who opened the first school in the county for African Americans in 1866 and the first public school in 1870.
The Lincoln High School (
NP10.1) (1926, Division of School Buildings, State Department of Education) is the second high school on this site; the first, which was largely funded by the Goose Creek Friends, was constructed in 1908. A fire destroyed it, and the Commonwealth of Virginia provided the plans for the present one-story building. Classrooms surround a central gymnasium-auditorium lighted and ventilated by a clerestory window. The ornate polychrome brickwork on the exterior is particularly noteworthy.
Just outside the village is the Hatcher-Brown Farm (1813, Virginia 709 at the intersection with Virginia 726), which illuminates the history of the prosperous yeomen farmer Friends of the area, known for tidy farms and abundant wheat harvests. The latter were made possible by crop rotation and the use of fertilizers. The Hatcher-Brown Farm is one of the few early farms that can readily be viewed from the road. The early farmhouses of the area were predominantly log houses and small stone cottages. As the area matured larger brick and stone houses using what has been called the Loudoun-Stuga floor plan became common. The Stuga plan—a large hall with the cooking hearth on one side of the house and two smaller rooms on the opposite side—was introduced to the Delaware Valley in the seventeenth century. William Penn promoted it in his Instructions, written for early colonists, and later generations of Pennsylvanians brought it to Loudoun County. The Hatcher farmhouse uses one front entrance into the hall. (Variations sometimes have two front entrances.) Additions on this and many other Loudoun-Stuga houses are placed to the side to allow cross ventilation. The Hatcher farm has a complete collection of outbuildings typical of the Goose Creek area. The stone bank barn reflects Pennsylvania origins.