The third and final location of the store that James Cash Penney ran in Kemmerer, known today as the J.C. Penney “Mother Store,” is located just across the town triangle from the earlier (stone) Golden Rule Store. Built circa 1921, it is a one-story, irregularly shaped brick building with a flat roof. The south-facing facade has been sheathed in white metal panels, broken up by a course of alternating white and green panels near the cornice. Below this course three signs read “J.C. Penney Company,” “Mother Store,” and “Founded 1902.” The lower portion of the facade has a stepped, inset entrance with almost full-length storefront windows framed by green metal panels. The facade treatment wraps around the southwest corner of the building. The north elevation contains three additional storefronts framed by brick piers and brick walls. The store moved to this building in 1935 and continues to operate at this location.
Christian, Ralph J., “J.C. Penney Historic District,” Lincoln County, Wyoming. National Register of Historic Places Inventory–Nomination Form, 1977. National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.
Curry, Mary Elizabeth. “J.C. Penney.” American National Biography. Vol. 17. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.