A little-known rubble limestone structure, Aspen Hall is one of the largest and most elegant Georgian houses in Martinsburg. It is also one of the oldest. Edward Beeson II, a well-to-do Quaker, is thought to have completed the fourbay, two-and-one-half-story block in 1778. A twobay, two-story side wing was added in the 1790s. Early-twentieth-century additions and alterations, including dormers and a pedimented porch on the south facade, have generally enhanced the original work. The interior contains notable woodwork and an impressive stairway with an arched window lighting the first landing.
- S. Allen Chambers Jr.
Buildings of West Virginia, S. Allen Chambers Jr. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004, p. 532.
SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012. Online. http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/WV-01-BE17. Accessed 2014-03-11.