Forty Fort Meetinghouse

1806–1808, Joseph Hitchcock, builder; Gideon Underwood, joiner. Wyoming Ave. (U.S. 11) and River St.

This meetinghouse, which accommodated both Congregationalist and Methodist settlers, is unusual in its conservatism. The simple structure of clapboards over a massive wood frame with a plain interior dominated by a central pulpit and boxed pews might have been built a century earlier. Joseph Hitchcock, born in New Haven, Connecticut, was the principal builder in the Wyoming Valley in the first years of the nineteenth century. Together with the nearby Nathan Denison (LU43) and Swetland houses (LU44), the meetinghouse comprises the most important and intact ensemble of New England culture below Pennsylvania's Northern Tier. In the early twentieth century, it became a shrine of antiquarian sentiment, and it was carefully restored by Thomas H. Atherton during the 1920s.

Editorial credits

  • George E. Thomas

Print citation

Buildings of Pennsylvania: Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, George E. Thomas, with Patricia Likos Ricci, Richard J. Webster, Lawrence M. Newman, Robert Janosov, and Bruce Thomas. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2012, p. 474.

Online citation

SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012. Online. http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/PA-02-LU42. Accessed 2014-08-28.

Click thumbnail to view full-scale uncropped image

Location

20-78 River St

Forty Fort, PA 18704

Materials

, ,, , ,,