Among the most prominent buildings in Talkeetna is the Fairview Inn, which was built by Ben Nauman; subsequent owners have maintained the original use and name. The two-story, wood-framed, 36-foot-square building has beveled siding and a hipped roof with exposed rafter ends at the eaves. Windows at the first-floor level are paired, and on the second single; all have one-over-one lights. A one-story wing (a 12 x 20-foot addition) has been affixed to the rear. The first floor retains three rooms: a bar, dining room, and kitchen. The second floor houses eight rooms, alongside a bathroom and a storage area; however, only six rooms are available for use. The bar and dining room area hosts bands and performances.
The Fairview Inn was built between 1920 and 1923, timed to open as the Alaska Railroad neared its completion and connected Talkeetna to Anchorage and Seward to the south and Fairbanks to the north. The Inn occupies lots 20 and 21 on the west end of Main Street in what is the original Talkeetna townsite, just across from the railroad station. Although the Fairview Inn has undergone modest renovations over the years, including a new roof, fresh paint, and a new sign, the building still reflects its roots as a rural Alaska roadhouse, built to serve those who arrived via the railroad.
Antonson, Joan M., "Fairview Inn," Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska. National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form, 1982. National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.