When a new post office building was first proposed for Cordova in 1912, 95 percent of all mail headed for Interior Alaska went through Cordova. By the time this building was constructed in 1923–1924, however, the Alaska Railroad had made Seward the primary port for the Interior.
Due to the slope of the site, this building is smaller than it appears. The L-shaped
The post office is exceedingly plain on the exterior; the doorway was marked by an entablature, which has been obscured by the recent addition of a marquee. The third-floor window sills are joined by a belt course; there is no cornice. A hip roof crowns the structure. On the interior, much of the original detail survives. James A. Wetmore, acting Supervising Architect of the Treasury, is credited with the design of the building, which was constructed by the J. B. Warrack Company of Seattle for $89,000. The post office and courthouse is the oldest federal building in Alaska still being used by the federal government.