The Copper River and Northwestern Railway constructed a depot in Chitina, as well as maintenance shops. The only two remaining CR&NWRy buildings are located across the slough from the main part of town.
The cook house is a one-story, hip-roofed building of wood-framed construction painted in the standard Kennecott Company colors of red with white trim. The bunkhouse, of the same materials and color as the cook house, was built in two sections, as expressed by its gable roofs, one of which is slightly lower than the other. Both buildings were constructed in 1910 as part of the railroad's support facilities in Chitina.