Montgomery and Frances Davis built several houses on Sixth Street, one for themselves and the rest to rent. J. Montgomery Davis was an English-born prospector and miner who came to Juneau in 1891 as bookkeeper and assistant manager of the Nowell Gold Mining Company. He soon married Frances Brooks, a wealthy English painter who had come to Juneau to observe the gold rush.
Between 1892 and 1912, the Davises built a number of houses for rental, including those located at 132, 136, 226, 232, and 238 Sixth Street. These are one and a half stories with a gable front and are sided in clapboards, beveled siding, or shingles. The three houses at 312, 312A, and 312B Sixth Street are set sideways to the street. Also one-and-a-half stories with gable fronts, these houses have front bay windows on the downhill sides. The juxtaposition of owner-occupied and rental housing is made clear by the architectural distinction between the two; there is no doubt which is the owner's house.