The only false-fronted building remaining in Nome, the Discovery Saloon is a two-story, wood-framed structure, now unhappily covered with aluminum siding. The building measures 18 feet by 36 feet and originally had plate-glass windows flanking a recessed doorway on the first floor. This entrance has been changed to an enclosed porch. At the second floor are two oriels, which originally were linked by a balustraded porch. At the third-floor level, a Palladian window, now converted to a simple square window, was set in the rounded pediment of the false front.
When opened by Max Gordon in 1901, the Discovery Saloon was one of forty-four saloons in town. Advertising billiards and card tables, Gordon operated the saloon until 1912. By 1940 it had been converted to a residence.