Between 1905 and 1917, about twenty dredges were introduced into the goldfields at Nome, none of them particularly successful. In 1922, W. P. Hammon acquired the property of the Pioneer Mining Company in Nome and brought in two dredges. The next year Hammon sold his interest to the United States Smelting, Refining and Mining Company (also the owners of the Fairbanks Exploration Company), and Alaska Gold Company continues the operations today.
To power the dredges, Hammon Consolidated Gold Fields (the name was retained until 1938) built a diesel power plant just north of the city limits, about 3½ miles from the dredge areas. The power plant complex includes a number of gable-roofed buildings, sided and roofed with corrugated metal.