Citizens of Cleburne County, anxious for a courthouse worthy of public pride, raised money for construction with a bond issue supplemented by a modest sales tax increase. Ferrell designed the courthouse and the contractor was A. M. Byrnes. The rectangular building of buff brick and cast stone has identical front and rear facades, each composed of a recessed central section fronted by a two-story pedimented portico with Doric columns. Cast stone is used for cornices, windowsills, and lintels. An octagonal cupola with a wood-shingled ribbed roof gives the building a dignified silhouette.
At 102 E. Main Street, the Colonial Revival former post office (1930s), now a municipal building, includes a mural of pioneer life, From Timber to Agriculture, painted in 1939 by H. Louis Freund and funded by the U.S. Treasury’s section of Fine Arts.