This massive house just to the west of down-town was built for an Ohio native who moved to Marianna for the lumber industry and then branched out by supplying farmers with equipment. This is one of the more grandscale residences designed by the prestigious Little Rock firm of Thompson. The all white two-and-a-half-story house is almost hidden by the monumental classical portico supported on two sets of three columns with over-blown Ionic capitals. A one-story porch with a balcony wraps the house, passing through the massive portico. The house’s roofline is a busy assortment of gables, dormers, cornices, and chimneys. On the interior, the oak-paneled staircase, spindled balusters, and columns between the hall and parlor set a grand tone. Fireplaces are faced with lightly glazed tile and have plain oak mantels.
Demonstrating the Thompson firm’s facility with various fashionable styles is the wooden Craftsman bungalow (1912; 43 Magnolia Street) designed for another member of the McClintock family, J. M. McClintock. The symmetrical house has a cozy appearance rather than grand, with its modest front porch supported on brick piers and a dormer centered in the red tile roof.