This is the third courthouse for Lonoke County on this location. Lonoke was designated the county seat in 1873, and its first courthouse, a wooden building, burned and was replaced in 1883. It in turn was replaced by this much larger building.
Little Rock architect Burks created this symmetrical, red brick three-story courthouse on a raised basement. The central portion of the building is recessed behind a row of six double-height Doric columns, but the building’s classicism is diluted by decorative cast-stone details in the parapet and the end pavilions. The county jail, originally located on the attic floor, was removed in 1973.