Technological innovations in construction allowed for the erection of this ten-story U-shaped commercial building, the first of a growing number of tall buildings in the central business district. The steel-framed building is typical of Mann’s work at this time, with its tripartite composition, white glazed brick exterior, prominent cornice with dentils, and some classical detailing. The building was completely modern with steam heat, three electric elevators, and pneumatic mail chutes. With its corner site and large windows, the building was designed for sunlight to enter every office during the course of the day. Newspapers of the time also noted that since mosquitoes and flies do not ascend higher than the seventh story of a building, it would be to the advantage of tenants to occupy the uppermost floors. The interior of the building was remodeled in 1937 and again in 1973, when there were also a few exterior changes.
West 2nd Street between Main and Center streets was known as the “Wall Street of Little Rock” because of the large number of financial institutions in the area. No fewer than twelve banks were located in this two-block area, and the Southern Trust Building was the area’s western anchor.