Constructed in 1898, this eclectic, Late Victorian commercial edifice was built for Mrs. John H. “Kitty” Boyd, the sister of Angus McKinnon, Jerome’s earliest prospector. It replaced Boyd’s St. Charles Hotel, a wood-frame boarding house that burned in the fire of 1897. The three-story masonry building is divided into seven bays. The first floor features three shop entrances and transoms abutting floor-to-ceiling, plate-glass bay windows; the second and third floors contain pairs of segmental-arched, double-hung windows. Single doors on the second and third floors, toward the center of the building, access unadorned iron balconies running the length of the facade. These doors vertically align with an off-centered, single door on the first story, which is sandwiched between two shops. The flat, parapeted roof is decorated with a corbelled cornice, while the corner pilasters exhibit rough-hewn stonework on the first floor. No longer a hotel, the building has been owned and maintained by the Jerome Historical Society since 1956.
Clark, Victoria. How Arizona Sold Its Sunshine. Sedona, AZ: Blue Gourd Publishing, 2004.
Young, Herbert V. They Came To Jerome: the Billion Dollar Copper Camp. Jerome, AZ: Jerome Historical Society with Bird Printing, 1989.