Immediately north of Steinbeck Plaza, near McAbee Beach, is the Monterey Canning Company complex. Founded by banker George Harper and built in 1917–1918, the complex was erected on the former site of the Monterey Fish Canning Company, owned and operated by Chinese immigrants from 1910 to 1916. The complex comprises two buildings: the large, rectilinear cannery on the east (bay) side of Cannery Row and the smaller, rectangular warehouse on the west (inland) side. The two are connected by an elevated, enclosed conveyor belt that spans the street. Both buildings’ signature architectural feature is a false espadaña parapet on the facades. While the cannery burned in 1978 and was rebuilt, the warehouse and overcrossing are original; furthermore, the warehouse is significant as one of the few remaining examples of corrugated iron industrial architecture on the row.
Architectural Resources Group. “Final Cannery Row Cultural Resources Survey Report Document.” Prepared for the City of Monterey, California, 2001.