Colorado Springs's North End Historic District is a residential area comprising 657 contributing properties, with only nineteen intrusions. Homes built between the 1870s and the 1920s display a high standard of residential construction. Detached, two-story frame residences, typically carpenter built, have standard 25-foot setbacks and planting strips, giving a spacious feeling to the street facades. The wide north-south streets contribute to the parklike setting, as do landscaped medians along Nevada, Cascade, and Wood avenues. Several houses have impressive ornamental iron fences, and many sport small-paned decorative windows. Houses built before 1920 commonly have sleeping porches to accommodate consumptives. Styles are overwhelmingly English, with some Craftsman bungalows and examples of
Cascade Avenue, the district's main northsouth avenue, divides Colorado Springs addresses into east and west street numbers. Houses on Cascade represent a range of residential styles, from Colonial Revival at 1230 North Cascade to Shingle Style at 1530 North Cascade, both 1892 designs by Colorado Springs architect E. C. G. Robinson.