Smelter tycoon August R. Meyer built the older of these houses, the white clapboard Healy House ( LK01.1), enhanced by an Italianate bracketed and balustraded porch, shutters, pedimented lintels, and a bay window. After conversion to a boarding house in the 1890s, it received a third-story addition. Leadville schoolmarm Nellie A. Healy inherited the house in 1912 and provided rooms for her fellow teachers. Since 1947 the Colorado Historical Society has operated it as a house museum, remarkable for its top-of-the-town site and its interior. Exquisite Victorian furnishings demonstrate how quickly settlers in successful mining communities acquired comforts, luxuries, and bric-a-brac.
The Dexter Cabin ( LK01.2), moved to the grounds from 110 West 3rd Street in 1947, is a two-room, hewn log cabin with a corbeled brick chimney and lavish interior. James Viola Dexter, a wealthy mine owner and dilettante, installed floors of black walnut and white oak, a Lincrusta-Walton anaglypta wall covering, and an orgy of Victorian artifacts.