This was the prototype for U.S. wilderness areas, thanks to U.S. Forest Service Recreation Engineer Arthur H. Carhart. Carhart, a pioneer landscape architect for the Forest Service, fought in the 1930s to persuade his superiors that roads and development should be banned on the shores of Colorado's second largest natural lake.
Coal mining magnate John C. Osgood hired W. L. Pattison to build the three Trappers Lake Cabins (1886), of hewn logs with notched corners, as a summer retreat. Two cabins remain, now used by the Colorado Division of Wildlife, which has made Trappers Lake a fish hatchery for native cutthroat trout. The north cabin, resting on a stone foundation, has boxed eaves and boxed bargeboard.