The second Warren County Courthouse, designed by Charles A. Dunham and constructed between 1866 and 1868, was a particularly strong example of the Italianate and French Second Empire styles. The front elevation of this brick and stone-trimmed building was composed of two square towers with high mansard roofs, between which was a three-story pediment with a group of three elongated round-arched windows. The accentuated verticality of the composition, especially that of the central gabled section and its fenestration, came close to suggesting that the building housed a religious institution, not a civil one. Regrettably the building was not well maintained over the years, and because of serious structural problems it was demolished in 1938.
The third county courthouse was funded by a bond issue, plus funds provided by the PWA. The new building is a traditional example of thirties PWA Moderne. The visitor is greeted by a central pavilion articulated by six fluted pilasters, each rendered as a flat surface and without any base or capital. The wings on each side are of brick, with central panels of light-colored Bedford limestone.