The first limestone quarry was established at Stone City in 1852; by the late 1870s, the limestone industry was supporting a thriving community. 4 Later, with the increased use of portland cement for reinforced concrete walls and concrete block, the economic base of the community all but disappeared. In 1932 the community experienced a brief reawakening as a summer art colony under the direction of Grant Wood. Many of Stone City's buildings have disappeared, including John Aloysius Green's 1883 Second Empire-style mansion (it burned down in 1963) and the large three-and-a-half-story Columbia Hall (torn down for its stone in 1936), yet a number of structures remain that have architectural merit.
Among these is the two-story rusticated ashlar block Henry Dearborn and Sons Building of 1897, located on the south side of Main Street (route E28), just before the
Chuck Anderson, “Stone City.”