As Andreas mentioned in 1875, the siting of the courthouse in Independence is particularly successful: “They [the courthouse buildings] are situated on the highest tract of land in the neighborhood, and command a fine view of the city of Independence, the Valley of the Wapsipinicon, and the surrounding Country.” 12 The courthouse is a PWA Moderne structure set on a terraced platform within its own landscaped block. The three-story block with a center raised basement is held in place by one-story wings on each side. The tan brick and accompanying stone trim has retained its light color. On the courthouse lawn is a 1950 bronze miniature reproduction of the Statue of Liberty.
Andreas, Atlas of the State of Iowa, 1875, 462.