The Marine Hospital was the earlier of the two U.S. government medical facilities in Chelsea. In 1825 Alexander Parris was hired to design a large marine hospital for seamen. This building was replaced by a new marine hospital on a new site in 1856. Converted into the Hawthorne School, the original Marine Hospital burned in the 1908 Chelsea fire.
The second Marine Hospital (Admiralty Way) was built on the hill above the granite Chelsea Naval Hospital. Ammi B. Young, supervising architect of the U.S. Treasury, designed a three-story H-shaped structure in the Italianate style, with elaborate three-story arcaded iron verandas and a cupola. Completed in 1857, this building was extensively remodeled in 1867 under the administration of Supervising Architect Alfred B. Mullett. Emerson and Fehmer were hired to supervise the work. A mansard roof was added and the iron verandas replaced with brick. Subsequent renovations for the conversion of the building to enlisted men's quarters included the infill of the brick verandas on the east facade for room expansion and the rebuilding of the