The building committee designed the Unitarian/Universalist Church, among the earliest surviving Gothic Revival churches in Massachusetts, after inspecting a church in Chelsea. Their ultimate source was Asher Benjamin's influential design (WE1, Old West Church) for a “Congregational Church in West Boston,” though they substituted Gothic ornament for neoclassical forms. The distinctive
Farther east, at the corner of Historical Way, the Canton Historical Society (1400 Washington Street) built its stuccoed Classical Revival headquarters in 1911. Founded in 1871, the society was given this site in 1909, removed a knitting factory too expensive to restore, and moved the mid-nineteenth-century School No. 1 from the corner of Washington and Randolph streets to serve as the centerpiece of their new building.