The East Boston Company began developing Jeffries Point with the Belmont Square neighborhood in 1833. Located at the top of Camp Hill, the rectangular Belmont Square (now Brophy Memorial Park) provided panoramic views of Boston Harbor. A row of nine Greek Revival brick bowfront row houses at
The location of an immigration station (demolished) at Jeffries Point led to rapid changes in East Boston's population in the second half of the nineteenth century. On the north edge of Belmont Square stands Our Lady of the Assumption (1869–1873, Patrick C. Keely, 404 Summer Street), the third Roman Catholic parish created to serve new Irish and French Canadian immigrants. Nearby, overlooking Belmont Square, stands the former Our Lady of the Assumption School (1890–1891, Herman Drake, builder) at 611–615 Seaver Street, now converted to housing. Just southwest of Belmont Square, the intact Tudor Revival Samuel Adams Elementary School (1910, Brigham, Coveney and Brisbee) at 165 Webster Street documents the rapid expansion of public schools at the turn of the century, as the population of East Boston more than doubled between 1885 and 1915.