Of the surviving houses built to Cornelius Coolidge's master plan, three deserve mention. The house at 20 Swallow Cave Road may
By the mid-nineteenth century, the elite residents began to build larger houses. George M. Dexter designed the Ebenezer Chadwick House (391 Nahant Road), a two-and-a-half-story stone cottage in 1845, and Luther Briggs planned 35 Cliff Road, an early mansard-roofed frame cottage for Boston lawyer Thomas Dwight c. 1856. Interesting summer residences continued to be built, often replacing earlier buildings that were moved or demolished. The Frank Merriam House, 19 Vernon Street, is one of the finest Colonial Revival houses built in the colony at this time (1888–1889).