One of the Boston area's leading Jewish congregations, Mishkan Tefila was responsible for establishing Conservative Judaism in the United States. The synagogue was founded in the late nineteenth century in the South End, before moving successively to two converted churches in Roxbury. From 1925 to 1958, the congregation occupied an imposing classical building (today a ruin) on Seaver Street in Roxbury.
The present structure, built of salmon-colored clinker brick, is an example of post–World War II suburban religious architecture, bearing the typical attributes of that era, namely a non-denominational appearance and a complex with spaces devoted to education and community activities, including a Nursery Youth Center (addition 1993). A triple