You are here

William Weld House and Peters Brothers Houses

-A A +A
1900, Peters and Rice. 147 Bay State Rd. 1900, Peters and Rice. 143–145 Bay State Rd.
  • William Weld House and Peters Brothers Houses

Local architect William Y. Peters and his brother purchased a prominent corner site, retained 49 percent for their double town houses, and sold the remaining 51 percent to Dr. William Weld. Weld's Neo-Baroque corner block bears strong resemblance to Bryanston, by English architect Richard Norman Shaw, whose designs were strongly imitated along this street, in particular at 152 Bay State Road, diagonally across from the Weld House. Weld lavishly equipped the interior with accessories from the 1900 Paris Exposition, a German chandelier with three thousand crystal droplets and carvings by a group of Italian craftsmen who labored for three years (and probably moonlighted next door at the Peters' houses).

Writing Credits

Author: 
Keith N. Morgan
×

Data

What's Nearby

Citation

Keith N. Morgan, "William Weld House and Peters Brothers Houses", [Boston, Massachusetts], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—, http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/MA-01-WB8.

Print Source

Cover: Buildings of Massachusetts

Buildings of Massachusetts: Metropolitan Boston, Keith N. Morgan, with Richard M. Candee, Naomi Miller, Roger G. Reed, and contributors. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2009, 200-200.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.

, ,