The Loammi Baldwin Mansion (c. 1750, c. 1785 remodeled, NR) at 2 Alfred Street (NR) and the neighboring 1790 House (1790–1800) at 827 Main Street (NR) are complementary buildings that contributed to one of Woburn's finest estates during the Federal period. The three-story Baldwin house with rusticated facades and monumental corner pilasters originally was located 800 feet away on Elm
Between 1793 and 1803, Baldwin was chief engineer and builder of the Middlesex Canal (1803) from Route 128 to Kilby Street (NR), which ran through his property. The canal was 27 miles long and ran from the Merrimack River in Lowell to the Charles River in Boston. It included twenty locks and eight aqueducts and was crossed by forty-eight bridges. These have disappeared, but many sections of the canal and its towpath survive; one section runs past the Loammi Baldwin Mansion and the 1790 House. The construction of the canal was associated with a number of innovations, including one of the first uses of hydraulic cement in the United States.
Today the Loammi Baldwin Mansion functions as a restaurant. The 1790 House, moved a few yards from its original site in 1998, now is an office building.