Descendants and members of the German colony who established Frankenlust settled Monitor Township. They cleared their lands of timber, and with their profits established sugar beet farms. They built this yellow brick Gothic Revival church that bears the inscription “EV LUTH DREIEINIGKEITS KIRCHE V.A.C. AD 1897.” It has pointed-arched windows, buttresses, and stone finials at the top of the buttresses. The entrance and bell tower rise to an open octagonal drum and, in turn, a huge steeple that is visible for miles around. The entrance porch is a recent addition. The interior features vertical-board wainscoting and an apse flanked by paired pilasters with Corinthian capitals. The semicircular dome above the altar is blue-green with gold leaf, with stained glass windows below.
The fine brick houses here in Monitor Township, such as those at 517 Salzburg, 4117 Mackinaw, 3565 Seven Mile, and 1907 Midland roads, reflect the prosperity of this German-settled area, established in 1869. They exhibit a sturdy Queen Anne–inspired design highlighted by red or yellow brick construction with contrasting brick quoins and band courses.