
H. M. Keefer and Charles E. Keefer (1856–1899) built the three-story brick hotel in this central location and within a minute's walk from the railroad depot. The location was especially attractive for traveling salesmen; fifty-four sleeping rooms and sample rooms were contained above and behind the street-level hotel lobby and commercial space. The fancy, red and yellow brickwork in the wall panels, the window hoods, and the corbeled cornice are noteworthy.