After the Dakota Heights Land Company filled in the ravines that scarred the site, East Hancock was subdivided into residential lots. Between 1890 and 1920 agents of the Quincy Mining Company, local merchants, and professionals built some eighty houses in varied turn-of-the-twentieth-century designs here. The quiet, tree-lined succession of sloping streets, sandstone and cobblestone retaining walls, and elegant houses overlook Portage Lake and Houghton to the west and link Hancock with the Quincy Mine to the east. A public stone staircase built as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project descends from Cooper Avenue to Front Street.
Among the more elegant houses is the two-story Colonial Revival Andrew Kauth House at 318 Cooper Avenue, with its giant Doric-columned portico and two-story porch that extends the full width of the dwelling. Coupled columns flank two inner pairs that frame the central entrance. The house was built for a German American businessman and saloon keeper in 1902–1907 to plans of Hans T. Liebert (b. 1878).