Promoted by Keweenaw County Road Commissioner Ocha Potter to increase tourism in the Keweenaw Peninsula, this rustic resort was hacked out of 167 acres of rolling timberland. It was funded by the Civil Works Administration (CWA), the Emergency Relief Administration (ERA), and the WPA to provide work for the unemployed labor force in the peninsula after the mines closed. Today it is operated by the county road commission. Logs cut in 1933–1934 to clear land for laying out the nine-hole golf course were crafted into two dozen cabins with fireplaces, a lodge, and furniture. The huge log lodge hall with a broadly pitched gable roof has large stone fireplaces, a stone entrance hall, and enclosed porches. The rustic buildings resemble those built in western national parks. The Keweenaw Mountain Lodge and Golf Course was one of the largest public works projects in the Upper Peninsula. In 2007, Keweenaw County expanded and renovated the lodge to include a seven-thousand-square-foot community conference center useable year-round while maintaining the lodge's historic integrity.
In 1933–1936, while working on roads, parks, playgrounds, camps, utilities, and buildings in the Keweenaw Peninsula, WPA workers living in Wolverine and Kearsarge replicated at the suggestion of the Houghton County Road Commission the USS Kearsarge (Stone Boat), a battleship in the U.S. Navy, in Jacobsville sandstone and poor mine rock on U.S. 41 at Wolverine in Houghton County.