In 1890, the vestry selected the plans for what it termed an Early English Gothic–style church, and in 1893, just as the lumber industry ended, this church was built. The Ecclesiological movement, which was a powerful influence on Episcopal church design in the nineteenth century, inspired the design of St. Paul's. Funds donated by Thomas Hume (1848–1920), coupled with gifts from Charles H. Hackley and John Torrent, financed construction. Geake and Henry of Fort Wayne, Indiana, built the church.
Grayish-green Lower Marshall sandstone quarried at Little Stoney Point, Jackson County, rises in the exterior walls. Above the main south portal is a twelve-petal rose window. On the interior, an arcade supports an oak-beamed roof. Willet Studios of Philadelphia designed the St. Nicholas stained glass window in 1943. Kelly Brothers of Muskegon, well-known woodworkers and manufacturers, installed the pews. The steps leading to the altar are of Vermont marble; the altar is of Carrara marble. Alois Lang, woodcarver of the Oberammergau group, carved the figures of the lectern and litany desk.
Founded in 1857, St. Paul's is one of Muskegon's oldest Protestant churches. Before this church was built a now demolished, steepled, yellowish-white brick Gothic Revival church erected in 1870–1873 served the parish. Designed by David Murray of Grand Rapids, it was at the intersection of Peck and Terrace streets and moved in 1879 to the northwest corner of Webster Avenue and Jefferson Street.