With its verticality and rectilinear ornament, St. Ignatius Church is Modernistic in style. In reference to the church, the Presque Isle County Advance for September 20, 1951, noted, “Both parishioners and pastor call the style ‘Presque Isle American’ architecture, a name that is both new and expressive of the spirit of the community of Rogers City, County of Presque Isle.” Porthole-like openings covered with glazed tile in the imposing tower were added for the benefit of boaters and sailors who put into port in Rogers City. St. Ignatius Church resembles in shape a Great Lakes ship or lake freighter, tying it to the maritime heritage of this place.
In 1924, three years after it was built, fire destroyed the first church. A second, soon outgrown, was erected in 1925. The Great Depression and World War II intervened, delaying fund-raising for the current church. Brick furnishes the exterior building material, and cinder block with the trim and coping in stone for the interior. Eight large columns of Indiana limestone support the clerestory walls. The church and choir loft seat 840.