The Sibley house is one of the few surviving mid-nineteenth-century houses in Detroit. The five-bay, two-story, wood-frame Greek Revival house employs some delicate Federal features, including a modest entrance porch flanked by Greek Doric columns supporting a dentiled entablature and pediment. Inside, the house is arranged around a central hall. A delicate stairway, with a “switchback,” suspended from the second floor climbs spritely to the upper level.
After her husband's death, Sarah Sproat Sibley (1820–1918) built this house next to the original Christ Church for herself and her two daughters. Judge Solomon Sibley was an active member of Christ Church. The Sibley family lived here for almost eighty years; daughter Sarah lived in the house until her death in 1917. In 1925 Christ Church bought the Sibley house for use as a rectory and church guest house.