You are here

Saint Augustine’s Chapel

-A A +A
1895, Henry B. Delany and George Washington Hayes, builders; later additions. 1315 Oakwood Ave.

Saint Augustine’s Chapel is the oldest surviving building erected for Saint Augustine University, one of the oldest historically black colleges and universities in the country. It was founded in 1867 by the Protestant Episcopal Church as Saint Augustine Normal School and Collegiate Institute. The chapel was built by students in 1895 under the guidance of Reverend Henry Delany, who had graduated from the school in 1885, and stonemason George Washington Hayes. The design does not conform to a specific architectural style, instead blending medieval, Gothic, and Romanesque elements in what some historians have described as a reflection of the Episcopalian English heritage.

The chapel was originally a rectangular, gable-roofed, stone structure. The local stone, quarried by students, is uncoursed, and the deep shadowy eaves lend the building a medieval appearance. In 1904 the north transept was added, followed by the south transept thirteen years later. The step-gabled southern facade is thought to have been added in 1917 as well. The chapel was first used for Christmas services in 1895, and regular services began the following year.

In 1897, the Saint Augustine campus expanded from its original 46 acres to 110 acres. Today the university is located ten blocks east of the state capitol and anchors two nearby predominantly black neighborhoods, Idlewild and College Park. The chapel continues to serve the university and surrounding community.

References

Bishir, Catherine W., and Michael T. Southern. A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2003.

Franz, Alyssa. “St. Augustine’s University (1867- ).” BlackPast.org: An Online Reference Guide to African American History. Accessed March 11, 2019. http://www.blackpast.org/.

“History.” St. Augustine’s University. Accessed March 11, 2019. https://www.st-aug.edu/.

“St. Augustine’s College Campus-- Raleigh: A Capital City: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary.” National Park Service. Accessed March 11, 2019. http://www.nps.gov/.

“St. Augustine’s College Campus,” Wake County, North Carolina. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, 1979. National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.

Writing Credits

Author: 
Meredith LJ Kirkpatrick
Coordinator: 
Kristen Schaffer
David Hill
×

Data

Timeline

  • 1895

    Built
  • 1904

    North Transept built
  • 1917

    South Transept built

What's Nearby

Citation

Meredith LJ Kirkpatrick, "Saint Augustine’s Chapel", [Raleigh, North Carolina], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—, http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/NC-01-183-0091.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.

, ,