In 1787, the Penn family donated four lots on 6th Avenue for the congregations of Pittsburgh. Though several different churches have been constructed on the plot, an Episcopalian and a Presbyterian congregation worship on the
First Presbyterian Church, though more recent, has a longer history on the site. The Presbyterians erected a brick structure in 1805, which was rebuilt in 1813 by Benjamin H. Latrobe during his Pittsburgh stay. That structure was replaced in 1851–1853 to a design by Charles F. Bartberger, which was in turn razed when the congregation sold the land for the construction of the Daniel Burnham-designed McCreery Department Store in 1904 (now 300 6th Avenue). The present church, a hybrid of thirteenth- and fourteenth-century English Gothic, clothes a single large meeting hall designed for preaching. First Presbyterian's thirteen Tiffany windows are its glory, while the glory of Trinity is the old graveyard, with tombs from the eighteenth century.