This is a very large (51 × 40 feet) six-bay, gable-roofed fieldstone inn, with full porches cut under the sweep of the roofline at the front and rear. The building is four stories, with exposed chestnut beams in the basement tavern and first floor. Apparently built or commissioned as Fork's Inn in 1762 by Robert Callender, the warrant holder, it was purchased by Jean Bonnet in 1779. Its prominent siting at the junction of two major east–west paths made it the locus of several meetings of the excise tax protesters during the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794. It continues to be used as an inn and restaurant, and retains its colonial feeling since only a small section of the turnpike has changed the nearby terrain.
Four miles west of Bedford on U.S. 30, a restored log house near Wolfsburg also served as an inn. A wagon could cover four miles in a day, and inns were often conveniently spaced at these intervals to provide lodging. A stone house at 6146 U.S. 30 is nearly adjacent to the Jean Bonnet Tavern.