The City Hall, a monumental Richardsonian Romanesque building, was designed to anchor the center of Johnstown when it resurrected after the flood of 1889. The building's rectangular two-story mass is capped by a dormered and hipped roof, and a central clock tower. An octagonal tower stands at the building's northwest corner. Plaques at the corner of Main and Market streets show the levels that water reached during the disastrous floods of Johnstown's history.
Charles Morrison Robinson (1867–1932) had a career that spanned thirty-eight years and took him from Altoona, to Pittsburgh (1901–1908), to Richmond, Virginia, where he designed several hundred school buildings and became the staff architect for several