Representing a popular style in Titusville, this three-story brick house for manufacturer William Sterrett is one of six in the Second Empire style. With its central tower and oval windows in the concave mansard roof, it rises above the others in grandeur and architectural integrity. The windows are square headed on the first story and round arched on the upper floors. A similar mansard-roofed brick house for William Wood (c. 1870; 424 E. Main Street) has been restored.
The Italianate style also was popular with newly minted oil millionaires. John Fertig commissioned an Italian Villa–style house (1873; 602 E. Main Street) after his oil strike. Two frame Italianate houses at 213 and 480 E. Main Street indicate the large scale and elaborate detailing of houses in Titusville.