The Cope house incorporates elements of Gothic Revival and Greek Revival. The T-shaped intersecting gable plan of the brick, two-story house, and the bracketed porch are typical of a Gothic Revival cottage, and the attic window on the facade has a pointed arch. Greek Revival features are at the entrance with in antis piers and the transom and sidelights that surround the door. The piers have stepped capitals to complement the geometry of the porch's surround. Three remaining frame outbuildings indicate that the house was part of a working farm.
Nearby, a two-and-one-half-story, three-bay stone house (c. 1800; 286 Cope Road) was the original homestead of John Cope, the West Chester, Pennsylvania, Quaker who first came to Fayette County in 1785 and helped establish the Providence Meeting that was in session from 1793 to 1880.