You are here
Life Ministries Retreat Center (Joseph C. Sibley Estate, “River Ridge Farm”)
The siting and complexity of the River Ridge estate, as well as its view toward Franklin, even in the dead of winter, are beautiful. Nearly every element of the original estate survives, including the pumping oil wells, farm buildings, gatehouses, and railroad siding. Joseph Crocker Sibley was a partner in the Galena Oil Works and Galena-Signal Oil Company. He came to Franklin c. 1868 and with his brother-in-law, Charles A. Miller, opened a successful dry goods store. They used their profits to buy an existing oil company and named it the Galena Oil Works. Sibley, while rooted in farming and the town of Franklin, lived his life on the national stage through his political career and powerful friends. He was with President William McKinley at his assassination, and President Woodrow Wilson and William Jennings Bryan drafted their Fourteen Points during a visit to River Ridge in September 1917.
Celebrities arrived at River Ridge via the private rail siding marked by an arch and capped with a twenty-one-ton stone incised with the estate's name. Thirteen miles of roads, six stone bridges, and a series of gatehouses connected the estate-house grounds and model farm. The thirty-three-room mansion was built with irregularly laid stone quarried on the hillside above the house, and laid under
Of the twenty-one other buildings on the 1,034-acre farm, one of the largest is the stone house for John L. Hanna, the farm manager. It is an outstanding two-and-one-half-story, intersecting gable structure overlooking the Allegheny River, with a stone campanile Sibley had duplicated from West Point. Several other buildings survive from Robert G. Lamberton's preexisting 760-acre Argeon farm that became a part of River Ridge after 1911. Lamberton's red brick house adjoins his magnificent L-shaped barn of brick and stone construction, four stories tall with entrances on three stories. River Ridge was broken up and sold by the surviving Sibley heir in 1948.
Oil executive Duncan McIntosh had a nineteen-room stone house (1900, John Axelson, builder; 1 mile east of Franklin Bridge on U.S. 322) built from the stone of a nearby quarry whose product was later used to construct River Ridge. Stylistically the McIntosh house is a blocky version of River Ridge, which is a larger and a more sophisticated design. The grounds include stables, a carriage house, residential units built in the 1960s, and a workshop. A red clay tile roof and an octagonal solarium on the eastern elevation do little to alleviate the heaviness of the McIntosh house design, restricted by a steep hillside to the north that exacerbates its dark interior.
If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.
SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.