Beyond the cluster of civic buildings that makes up the north side of Broad Street are a dozen late-nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century buildings that complete a handsome main street. The highlight is the Pinchot House, now the community center at 201 Broad Street. At its core is an early-nineteenth-century frame Georgian house with a central
The intersection of Harford and Broad streets forms the center of Milford with the post office ( PI8) and Foresters’ Hall ( PI7) across from the Pinchot house. Opposite is the handsome brick Dimmick House (101 E. Harford Street), one of the earliest of Milford's hotels. Built in 1856, it has Georgian proportions but with a nod in its broad fascias to Greek Revival. Harford Street was the principal residential street. Cyril Pinchot built 110 E. Harford as a rental property in 1862, in a mode similar to Andrew Jackson Downing's design No. 8, “The Suburban Cottage” in the “Italian Style.” The house at 116 E. Harford may date from the early nineteenth century, with a later Greek Revival portico. At number 201 is said to be the town's earliest surviving house, a frame structure built c. 1740 but entirely disguised by nineteenth-century additions. A national competition led to the award of the commission for Pike County's new library to New York architect Fred Schwartz in 2007. A nasty battle against contemporary design by the local preservation board has killed this project. Instead of another New York urban jewel, the town will have an empty lot.