This is a sylvan spot with a horseshoe dam so low that the smooth curve of the spill is intimately juxtaposed to the tumble of the water against the rocks below. The Hunt family was among the original Puritan settlers when the settlement was Rehoboth and in Massachusetts. John Hunt purchased the property in 1713. His son presumably built the house, very much in the manner of the Phanuel Bishop House (
EP11) except that here the chimneys are in the more traditional central position rather than the ends. The interior has fine country woodwork and plaster walls all recently restored. Presumably either the father or his son
When Frederick C. Sayles established his Glenlyon Bleachery in East Providence ( EP4) and required a more extensive water supply for the purpose, he convinced the town to set up a private water company and purchased the pumping station with the Sayles Company as principal stockholder to operate the system. He also established picnic grounds and a small amusement park on the site to benefit his workers and the town. It operated until a fire destroyed its popular dance hall in 1925. The amusement park led a languishing existence until it faded away at the beginning of the 1930s, when a debilitated industrial base and expanded automobile travel administered the coup de grâce. The waterworks returned to the city in 1928, and was closed only with the connection of East Providence to the Scituate Reservoir system in 1969. Although the house is colonial and the pumping station Victorian, the juxtaposition of the two here returns us, in an idealized way, to an early phase of the Industrial Revolution in which the owner's house was often set beside his mill.