This brick mill is the looming introduction to Warren from Barrington. Disfigured along its length facing the Warren River by low cinderblock additions, it is best seen at its Main Street end or along Water Street. This is classic turn-of-the-century pier-and-spandrel brick mill construction, well proportioned, well crafted, and impressive in its arrogant self-assurance. The forceful tower on Water Street, where the original main gate was located, features an openarcaded, granite-trimmed bell loggia beneath a beetling cornice. Its openings are full-round arches, as a late manifestation of round-arched (“Romanesque”) factory design persisting from the mid-nineteenth century. Plaques in granite under the corbeling give the dates 1847 and 1898. The earlier commemorates the opening of the first mill, which also inaugurated textile manufacturing in Warren. The complete loss of this mill, together with its successive additions of 1860 and 1872, to a spectacular fire in 1895 accounts for the exceptional size and uniformity of this replacement.
On the side streets hard by the factory—especially Davis Avenue, Bowen, Summer, Sisson, and Company streets—are several types of company housing. They include some plain four-unit houses, one restored on Davis and duplexes of varied design, period, and modification.